The SMSS Secretary position for 2017 is now open!
Are you a STEM military spouse interested in becoming part of our dynamic team advocating for spouses like yourself? Join our team! Visit our Volunteer page to apply. Applications are due April 26th.
Duties for 2017:
- Ensure that the records of the organization are maintained as required by law and made available when required by authorized persons.
- Ensure that official records are maintained of members of the organization and board. He/she ensures that these records are available when required for reports, elections, referenda, other votes, etc.
- Ensure that an up-to-date copy of the bylaws is available at all meetings.
- Responsible for ensuring that accurate minutes of meetings are taken and approved. The secretary signs a copy of the final, approved minutes and ensures that this copy is maintained in the corporate records.
- May be authorized or required to sign or countersign cheques, correspondence, applications, reports, contracts or other documents on behalf of the organization.
- May be the registered agent with respect to the laws of the jurisdiction, the person upon whom legal notice to the corporation is served, and responsible for ensuring that documents necessary to maintain the corporation are filed.
- Participate in board meetings as a voting member. The secretary provides items for the agenda as appropriate. In the absence of the president (and vice-President, if the position exists), the secretary calls the meeting to order, presiding until a temporary chairperson is elected.
- Serve as first contact for those wishing to volunteer for the organization. The secretary directs potential volunteers to the appropriate leadership team member for task assignment and maintains records of all volunteer hours for the organization.
Leave a Reply